What Is Reflective Material?
- Reflective material used on clothes has tiny glass beads embedded on the surface.
- Each bead is a rounded mirror that shines light back directly to its source – regardless of the angle which the light shines.
- A car’s driver can see a person wearing reflective material even if they are not in front of them.
- 3M™ Scotchlite™ Reflective Material is made from thousands of optical quality glass beads about ¾ the size of a human hair.
- These beads are densely packed together and then coated on the backside with a very thin coating of aluminum.
- That makes each of the glass beads a convex (or bowl shaped) mirror.
- When light hits each glass bead it is reflected back exactly toward the light source.
- With a normal flat mirror (like the one in your bathroom) you need to stand directly in front of the mirror to see yourself.
- If you could make a mirror with reflective glass beads you would be able to see yourself from anywhere in the room.
- When you wear 3M™ Scotchlite™ Reflective Material you become more visible to motor vehicle drivers during the evening hours.